August 7, 2008

Catching up to myself

I have the feeling that this blog is never going to quite catch up to me until I'm in Boston - but that's a good thing. For now, though I'm in Oslo and there are still photos from the UK that need posting. So, I'll back up a bit even though that was then and this is now.

The first are from Totnes, Devon where my ancestor John Chapin was born in the 16th century. The photos are of the interior of the Church of St Mary's, parts of which date from the mid-15th century and stood in the middle of the old town centre. Standing in the church, I was struck by the thought that my ancestors may well have stood on the same space and looked on the same view.
I feel something here, but I'm not entirely sure what. I am unprepared for experiencing the UK as an ancestral place - though I remember the first time I came to Devon: I had a strong sense of familiarity and home. It felt like a place I could easily stay.

1 comment:

Max, Ebbie and the Fuzzheads said...

Just awesome. Can't have too much medieval architecture!